Monday, November 24, 2008

Rifle Ramblings

I bought a Marlin 795SS .22LR rifle on Saturday and went out shooting on Sunday. That thing is a blast to shoot. It is super accurate even shooting off-hand with open sights, didn't fail to feed or eject a single round the whole day, and was just loads of fun. Maybe for Christmas, I will buy myself a scope for it. I am super pleased with my choice here.

Also, while talking with the owner of the land where I go shoot, it came out that I had an air rifle. He seemed very interested in it, and I he was talking about taking it on a deer hunt. He said that quail come and sit only 10-20 yards from the deer stand while they are sitting there waiting for a deer to show up, and he wanted something to take the quail that would not be loud enough to scare them off, was accurate, and allowed multiple shots in succession. Sounds like a job for the 1077. So he will be off tomorrow for the hunt with my loaner 1077 in tow. He was convinced he needed to just go buy one ASAP. I figure he'll get one after he gets back if it works out for the quail. I know that with the red dot I could make head shots at quail at 15 yards and certainly the 1077 will kill them with head shots. It's quiet enough, and allows reasonably quick follow-up shots so you can shoot multiple quail sort of "at once". Novel idea. Here's a case where a more powerful or well-accepted single-shot air rifle would not get the job done.

1 comment:

  1. I have a question about my leaking 1077 rifle. Please email me at maliburobert at hotmail

    I cannot seem to figure out how to message you.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete